International Blue Cross
The International Blue Cross is a worldwide health development organisation dedicated to caring for people harmed by alcohol and/or illicit drugs. It was established in 1886 in Geneva, Switzerland, and is presently made up of more than a thousand health professionals around the world.
Who we are
The International Blue Cross wears two hats – the Federation and that of an international actor.
At the Federation’s level
- We are a non-governmental umbrella organisation that brings together 43 national Blue Cross societies – called member organisations. These organisations are independent, non-denominational Christian organisations.
- We are a networking hub and coordinator between organisations inside and outside the Blue Cross..
At the level of the international actor
- We are a project funding and implementation organisation.
- We are representatives of the national Blue Cross organisations in international networks.
- We are the fundraising body of the Federation to ensure sustainability of core activities.